The 5 Most Important Things to Do After a Slip-and-Fall
July 18, 2019
Slip-and-falls are among the most common causes of injury in New Jersey. Under New Jersey law, property owners have a legal obligation to ensure the safety of their stores, offices and residences. If an individual is injured due to an unsafe property, the owners or managers may be held liable for damages. Here are the 5 steps you should follow if you’ve suffered a slip and fall:
- Seek Medical Attention: If you need emergency medical assistance, call 9-1-1 immediately. Cooperate with the medical professionals. If you are directed to do so, go to the hospital. Visit a doctor within 48 hours. Certain injuries, especially head injuries, may not be apparent immediately. Further, to file a claim, you will need a doctor’s record of examining and treating your injury.
- Report Your Fall to the Property Owner: Find out who is in charge of the property on which you fell and notify them of your injury. It is best to file a formal report. Keep copies of any notifications or letters you send to inform owners or property managers of your fall.
- Take Photos: Take pictures of the area where you fell and anything that may have pertained to your fall. These pictures may serve as useful evidence in filing a claim. Be sure to also photograph your injuries and damage to your personal property.
- Do Not Speak to an Insurance Company Representative: After a slip-and-fall, you may be contacted by an insurance adjuster. His or her job is to pay you the least amount of money possible for your injury. Be sure you do not accept responsibility for your injury or sign a release presented to you by the insurance company. Refer any and all questions to a qualified personal injury attorney.
- Contact a Qualified Personal Injury Attorney: A qualified personal injury attorney can help ensure that you are fully compensated for all your damages and losses following a slip and fall. With an attorney, you can rest assured that you will not be taken advantage of by the insurance company. At the Law Offices of Curt J. Geisler, our attorneys have a statewide reputation for excellence in personal injury. Do not hesitate to contact us immediately at (973) 772-8289.
get in touch